The erstwhile Mysore State had the enviable and glorious position of establishing the first major hydroelectric generating station for commercial operations at Shivasamudra as early as 1902. The art at that time was still in its infancy, even in the advanced countries. The longest transmission line, at the highest voltage in the world, was constructed to meet the power needs of mining operations at kolar Gold Fields. Also in the year Sept, 1908 the world famous Mysore Palace was illuminated. It is one of the most magnificent buildings and is a sight not to be missed when it is illuminated on Sundays and festive occasions. In the year 1909, the power supply was arranged for 600 Street Lights and there were 617 consumers. The generating capacity of the Shivasamudra Power House gradually increased to 42 MW in stages. To meet the increasing demand for power, the Shimsha Generating Station, with an installed capacity of 17.2 MW, was commissioned in the year 1940. The power demand was ever on the increase, for industries and rural electrification, and additions to generating capacity became imperative. And there on many major generating stations like Mahathama Gandhi Hydroelectric station, Nagajari Power House,Supa Dam Power House, RTPS, etc., were established.
The transmission and Distribution system which was in under the control of the GoK (then Mysore), was formed as MSEB in the year 1957 and the private distribution companies were amalgamated with KEB.
In order to improve the performance of the power sector and to be in par with the reforms initiated by GoI ,the Karnataka Legislature passed Karnataka Electricity Reforms Act (KERC). This reforms act mandated unbundling of the KEB and its Corporatisation. As a part of Corporisation , the existence of KEB was ceased and Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited was constituted from 1.08.1999. And the distribution sector was further divided into 4 companies depending on geographical area, namely;
- Bangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited (BESCOM)
- Hubli Electricity Supply Company Limited (HESCOM)
- Mangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited (MESCOM)
- Gulbarga Electricity Supply Company Limited (GESCOM)
These companies came into existence from 1st June,2002. In the year 2005, Chamundeshwari Electricity Supply Corporation Limited (CESC) carved out of MESCOM and is managing distribution of electric power for the five districts. CESC is functional from 01.04.2005 having its headquarters at Mysore. The five districts under CESC jurisdiction are Mysore, Chamarajanagar, Mandya, Hassan and Madakeri. CESC caters power to the world renowned industries viz Infosys Technologies, TVS Motors, Nestle, Reid & Taylors, Vikranth Tyres and etc.
Chamundeshwari Electricity Supply Corporation limited is a company incorporated under the company act 1956 and is a successor entity to Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Limited (KPTCL) and MESCOM in respect of Distribution and retail supply of Electric power for five districts. Its operation started from 01.04.2005 as per the GOK order E.N.08 P.N.R 2005/262.
CESC has the responsibility of Distribution of power for the following five districts of Karnataka.